Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"This is Israel, not the United States...."

I made it!!!!! But, not without a few stories.  My plane left at 2:34pm and I did not enjoy it for the only reason that my seat wouldn’t recline because my row was positioned in front of the row of emergency exits.  A non-reclining seat is enough to put a damper on anyone’s flight experience, especially if that seat is the most erectile seat you have ever sat in…..which it was.




Getting to JFK was really fun and full of firsts:
First.  I spoke Spanish to a stranger.
First.  I gave people directions to their departing terminal eventhough I have never step foot in JFK prior to this time.  (I memorized the terminal map)
First.  I sat at a wi-fi café during my layover and acted like I do these kind of things all the time; therefore, no one really bothered me….

The international flight was something to definitely be remembered as well.  The women I sat next to was on her way to Israel to attend her daughter’s wedding who is 22!  We had many conversations about my trip, her trip, her job, this internship, and food!  (speaking of food, yes, if you’re wondering she does fold her pizza in half to eat it, but we won’t hold that against her ‘cause she was very nice)  By the end of the flight, needless to say, I was calling her my “travel mom”

Once at the airport in Tel Aviv, I finally found Gene after kicking myself for not telling him what I look like or letting him know what I look like.  Upon meeting each other we talked about what I’m going to be doing exactly, which still has yet to be determined, so stay tuned, and where I will be staying.

Upon entering my apartment Gene decided not would be a good time to ask if I have a problem with snakes by saying something along the lines of “Make sure you a least keep your screen door closed to keep out the snakes. A few years back a woman came into her room to find a snake under her bed.”  The fist thing I did when I was alone in the apartment was check every crevice for snakes.  But if snakes are out of the picture to worry about, there are always porcupines….seriously.

Also the first five minutes in the apartment I blew my fuse.  The last straw I believe was trying to plug in an electric kettle. (excuse me for wanting tea).  Other than the kettle incident everything has been running pretty smooth. I don’t have internet in my apartment, so it’s going to be a little more laborious of a process trying to keep everything updated, but if I can find the fuse box in the dark, I’m sure I can figure out a way to have my internet. And, if I can figure out a way to have internet, I can surely figure out a concrete purpose and plan of action, so to the batmobile I go and onto the next day!



No comments:

Post a Comment